Overseeding... - Knowledgebase Question

WOODBURY, Ne
Question by pooch_1972
I have a newly seeded lawn (late fall 08),which is sparse due to late planting--I think I need to overseed it again now in early spring--Do I loosen up top layer of soil(or is it not ok to disturb young grass),or should I bring in more soil to spread on top?

0

It is important that the seeds you are sowing make good contact with the soil so use a garden rake over the entire area to roughen up the soil a bit. Then broadcast your seeds and then cover them with a light layer of peat moss or top soil to help keep the seeds moist and to discourage local birds from feasting on the seeds. Keep the newly seeded area moist by watering several times a day. In warm weather the seeds will germinate in less than a week. In cold soils or cold weather, they will take about 10 days to sprout. Best wishes with your lawn.