Help! Wild Pigs search and destroy my plants - Knowledgebase Question

Tucson, Ar
Question by sugarplum1az
I live in Tucson, AZ. Every year the javelinas eat and destroy my roses, tomatoes, and everything else but marigolds and cacti. Would something like moth balls work to offend them and still not hurt the garden dirt when they

0

I'm afraid deterrents such as moth balls won't work on javelinas. Arizona State University has done a study and found that powdered coyote urine might serve as a deterrent, but I cannot find a source for you. They do recommend that you exclude them from your garden by fencing it. Electric fencing is the most effective around gardens; try a single strand approximately 8-10 inches above ground level. It is fairly inexpensive and can be obtained at farm and ranch supply stores. Or, use block walls or chain link fencing (4 feet tall) around the entire yard.