|My husband makes molding out of pressure treated wood. Can we put the wood chips from the pressure treated wood on the compost?
|Answer from NGA
April 16, 1998
|No. Common chemicals used to treat wood include EPA-rated hazardous chemicals chromium and arsenic. Sawdust and wood scraps produced from working with pressure-treated wood should be disposed in a land fill-type dump. Incineration releases some toxins into the air and produces ash from which toxins readily leach. If he doesn't already, you might also advise your husband to wear gloves and a dust mask when he works with pressure-treated wood.
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage