Mountain Laurel - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeway, Te
Avatar for darlenewtayl
Question by darlenewtayl
March 14, 2009
Are Mountain Laurel's poisonous? I have friends that say

Answer from NGA
March 14, 2009
Kalmia latifolia, commonly called Mountain-laurel, is poisonous to several different animals, including horses, goats, cattle, sheep, and deer, due to andromedotoxin and arbutin. The green parts of the plant, the flowers, twigs, and pollen are all toxic, and symptoms of toxicity begin to appear about 6 hours following ingestion. Because it is considered an ornamental plant rather than an edible plant, and because you would have to consume a great deal of the plant in order for it to be toxic, and because most landscapes do not have resident horses, goats, cows, sheep or pet deer, the caution is not generally listed on the label. Hope this clarifies things for you.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Wild asters"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.