Garden Ground - Knowledgebase Question

Artesia, Ne
Question by ashley_troub
Where I plant flowers is the border of my house. Shaded Area, and the ground is very hard so hard it is kind of like rock once I get far enough down. What can I do to make this hard ground to where I can plant flowers right?

0

It will take several years and some physical labor but you can eventually have rich garden loam instead of hard dirt in your garden border. Start by spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the top and digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Use compost, shredded leaves, aged-manure or any other readily available organic matter. After planting your plants, place an additional 2-3 inches of organic mulch over the bare soil between the plants. In the fall dig this organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer of organic matter. A few years of this practice will amend your soil beautifully, make it loose and rich enough to sustain the health of anything you plant in the bed. Best wishes with your garden!