Evergreen for Zone 5 - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, Il
Question by terrispratt
Hi, I'm looking for an evergreen in zone 5 that is no more than 4-5 feet tall and no more than 3 feet wide. I need it to have branches that are not tight together as it will be used for shelter for birds near bird feeders when hawks are hunting them. If possible I would like it to not need trimming. Any suggestions? Thanks!

0

One plant that deserves consideration is Dwarf Alberta spruce (Picea glauca var. Albertiana 'Conica'). It is a dwarf cultivar of the Alberta White spruce, which is prized for its compact pyramidal growth habit, and tiny half-inch needles which are densely packed on its branches. It is also a very slow grower, only two to four inches per year. The branches are spread at equal distances which makes it a perfect hideaway for your birds. Hope it works for you!

Today's site banner is by nativeplantlover and is called "Blue Spheres"