Lavender - Knowledgebase Question

Colorado City, Te
Question by csmaincc
What is the best type of lavender for West Texas and what kind of soil preparation is necessary?

0

Growing lavender in West Texas is not impossible, but there aren't many who would tell you that it is worth the effort. It must have full sun, almost perfect drainage and good air circulation and prefers an alkaline soil. I am not that familiar with the soils there but would doubt that they match the requirements. I refer you to the below web site. It is the home page of the South Texas Unit of the Herb Society of America. Perhaps you can get additional information from them. http://www.herbsociety-stu.org...

Lavender can be a real challenge to grow. It is one of those Mediterranean plants that is going to have difficulty in an area that is as dissimilar to the Mediterranean as is west Texas.