Privacy Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by BAvig
I'm looking for a fast growing tree/bush with year long coverage for privacy. I'm in Jacksonville, FL and I'm looking for something that will grow 20 -30 ft, and be easy to maintain. I thought of bamboo but I understand that it grows out of control.

The following shrubs/trees make great hedges:

1. Viburnum spp. Viburnums are a good choice for hedges, specimens or for screening objects from view. Sweet viburnum (V. odoratissimum) is a 25-foot tall by 10-15 foot wide evergreen shrub with large glossy leaves. Walter's Viburnum (V. obovatum) is a Florida native that will grow to about 25 feet tall and 10 feet wide.

2. Holly spp. Hollies make dense hedges so they are a great replacement for a fence. American holly will get up to 50 feet tall and 20 feet wide. 'Nellie Stevens' holly is a little smaller, maxing out at 20-30 feet tall and 10 feet wide. If you are looking for a large shrub, 'Burfordii' holly only gets to about 15 feet tall and wide. Hollies have glossy green foliage and red berries in the winter. Hollies range in size from a few feet to 60 feet tall, so be sure to choose the cultivar that will work best for your situation.

3. Simpson's Stopper Simpson's Stopper (Myrcianthes fragrans) is a large evergreen shrub that will grow to be 20-30 feet tall and 15-20 feet wide. It makes a great privacy hedge and has showy berries and flowers that attract wildlife. Simpson's Stopper is a Florida native.

For even more information on what plants to use to create privacy in your yard, go to

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"