White patches on azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

Crystal River, Fl
Question by handlb
There are white moss like patche covering the bark on my azaleas. I used oil soap and scrubbed each plant. Tough job. Is there a spray to rid this problem and is this scale?

0

I don't know whether the patches are scale, mealy bugs, or simply lichen (a mosslike growth). Scale insects are round or oval and have a hard shell. Mealy bugs are soft and have a wispy cottony covering. Lichen is hard and thin. Insecticidal soap will take care of mealy bugs; scale insects can be suffocated with horticultural oil (keep it off the foliage), bordeaux (lime sulfur) will kill the lichen but it will take a while for it to slough off - or you can peel it off. Try to determine just what the matter might be and then treat accordingly. Best wishes with your azaleas!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"