Wax Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Murrells Inlet, So
Question by bobw21
I'm planting 15 gal. wax myrtles. Should I mix cow manure or other fertilizer in the soil? I don't want to burn the roots, but I want to give these shrubs a good head start.

Bob

0

It is generally not a good idea to amend a planting hole. If you do, you will be encouraging the roots to remain near the planting hole instead of venturing out into the native soil. This can cause problems as the plants mature because the root systems will be small. Instead, you can amend the entire planting bed with organic matter and then plant your shrubs. Start with a 4-5" layer of aged manure, compost or other organic matter and mix it into the soil to a depth of 10-12 inches. Then level the bed and plant your wax myrtles. Be sure to plant them at the same soil level as they were growing in the nursery pots and don't forget to water them deeply once each week so the roots will establish well before hot weather arrives.

Best wishes with your new wax myrtles!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"