CARE FOR WEEPING PUSSY WILLOW BONSAI - Knowledgebase Question

HOWELL, Mi
Question by dawnmr
I was recently given a weeping pussy willow bonsai tree. It seems to be happy but I'm not sure how or if I need to prune. The new growth is growing upword and I'm thinking I should be tying it down or pruning. Any advice you could give would be helpful. Thanks So Much!! Dawn Richards

0

I would begin by tying the upward growing branches down. As they continue to grow they will naturally hang down but yours seems to need a little guidance. I use soft string and a half ounce or one ounce fishing weight on my weeping willow branches. The fishing weight is just enough to encourage a weeping growth habit. You can remove the string and weights when the bark has hardened and the branch will remain at a downward angle. Best wishes with your bonsai!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"