spotted dead nettle - Knowledgebase Question

Huntsville, Te
Question by angelamathi
March 20, 2009
I recently bought one of these plants and brought it into the house I'm pretty new at the gardening thing and have an infant that will be crawling soon. I was wondering if there was any special precautions that I needed to take or if the plant is poisonous? Thank you for your help Angela.

Answer from NGA
March 20, 2009


Spotted deadnettle, a member of the mint family, Lamiaceae, has leaves that are similar to stinging nettle without the toxic effect, hence its name, deadnettle. The plant parts are not poisonous but the roots may be. Neither are supposed to be consumed so if you keep the plant away from curious fingers, everything should be fine.

Spotted deadnettle is a perennial ground cover that brightens shady spots with its variegated green to silver leaves. In spring and summer it produces flowers. I've never grown it indoors but if you provide lots of bright light, it should grow and flower for you. Enjoy!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"