Squirrels Destroying Mulberry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, Ca
Question by kubarycz
My young street side mulberry tree (20 ft high) is being stripped of new leaves & young branch tips by squirrels. This happened last year too and left the tree weak and mostly barren of foliage. It has recovered over winter with fertilizer and rain, but the squirrels are at it again this year. What can I do?

0

Squirrels can go attack the wildest things sometimes. I've never heard of squirrels attacking mulberry leaves as they emerge. I'd think any of the commercially available repellents such as Ropel and Hinder might be worth a try to stop their bizarre activity. These should be available at local garden centers. I would guess they will stop once other food becomes available.