Pesky Cats - Knowledgebase Question

Alameda, Ca
Question by djhuckaby
I have a cat or two that are always coming around my garden. I am the only one on the block with a garden and it seems drawn to my garden. It tramples my plants and I am constantly having to run it off. What can I do to keep it away from my garden?

0

Cats love nice soft soil and they're creatures of habit. If you can discourage them for a while, they'll find another litter box. Try placing crumpled chicken wire over your flower bed and planting in the holes. The leaves of annual plants will spread and cover up the wire. Or, drive stakes around the perimeter of the garden and string nylon fishing line from stake to stake. Keep the line about 6 inches off the ground and criss-cross so there's less than 12 inches between the strands. Cats don't like walking on chicken wire or ducking under fishing line. Eventually they'll give up and you can remove the barriers.