Searching for Chickpeas - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, OH
Question by jay89
Where can I find seed for Kabuli Chickpea? Also refered to as Garbanzo beans (Cicer arietinum). It is the second largest pulse crop in the world, but very few people grow them in the United States. The seed is very hard to find.

0

How about a health food store? I know my local food coop sells all sorts of dried beans, and I think they would grow if you planted them. (I've grown wheat and adzuki beans from their seeds.) My guess is that the reason few people grow garbonzos is that they require a long, hot growing season.

Contact the organization Native Seeds SEARCH. Their catalog contains a large selection of bean varieties, including many that are difficult to find elsewhere. Their address is 2509 N. Campbell Ave., #325, Tucson, AZ 85719;ph# 520-327-9123. They may be able to suggest varieties that will mature in your growing season. Good luck!