planting - Knowledgebase Question

Kennesaw, Ge
Question by woodknitter
when to plant lettuce in kennesaw ga. and tips how to grow lettuce. thank you sylvia

0

Now is a good time to plant your lettuce. Lettuce generally tastes sweetest when grown in cool weather. Hot weather causes plants to bolt--that is, to form seed heads. Once this process begins, the leaves can become bitter. I like to plant a succession of leaf lettuces every two weeks or so, so that I always have some young leaves to harvest. As far as watering goes, you need to keep the soil evenly moist. The amount depends on weather, soil type, and temperatures. Young seedlings need to be watered more often than established plants. Check the soil every day at first, then every few days once the seedlings are growing well. Water when the soil is dry to a depth of a half inch or so. Enjoy!