potato - Knowledgebase Question

Laporte, Mi
Question by yellow2door
I have wonderful healthy plants that bloom and have great color... the problem? I only get small potato's what do I need to do?

0

It might be that you are harvesting too soon or it might be due to the variety you are planting or lack of sufficient water. You can start your potatoes now (the usual planting date in your area is mid-March). Plant the seed pieces 6-inches apart and cover them with 4-5 inches of soil. As the vines grow, hill soil, leaves, or compost over them to keep the developing tubers covered. Leave only a small portion of the growing vines exposed to encourage additional root development. Once the plants blossom, stop adding compost to the hill. When the foliage begins to wither and die, the tubers will be full-grown and ready to harvest.