best time to prune - Knowledgebase Question

JASPER, Ar
Question by ridgerunners7
when is the best time to prune white pines & oak trees? i would like my trees to get bushier as they grow tall.
also i live in ar. on top a moutain could i use lava rocks or natural stone around my roses bushes for mulch? i have a rose garden and want to keep weets out and grass down, right now i don't have to cover in winter would that change if i used 1 of theses rocks instead of mulch ? THANK

0

Early spring, just as new growth begins is the best time to prune your trees. They will bush out and become thicker if you prune them back a little every spring. Lava rocks and natural stones will help suppress weeds and they are fine to use around your plants. Best wishes with your garden!