How do I dress up my white fence? - Knowledgebase Question

DeBary, Fl
Question by stassia
We added a sunroom to the back of our home, but all there is to look at is the white fence along our perimeter. What can I do to add some color and interest? Is there something I can do with trellises? I live in FL. My backyard is small, gets afternoon sun and slopes uphill.

0

A white fence says Cottage Garden to me and there are a variety of sun loving perennials you can plant near the fence. Try Delphinium, Achillea, Hollyhock, Campanula, Dianthus, Digitalis, Echinacea, Lupines, Sweet William, Foxglove, Rudbeckia, Veronica, Cosmos, Scabiosa and Snapdragons. There's enough difference in bloom times and plant height that you will always have a riot of color in your garden. You can add a clematis and train it to grow along your fence to provide a green backdrop to your garden with the added bonus of flowers. Hope these ideas get you out there planting!