radioactively large poison sumac - Knowledgebase Question

Bethesda, Ma
Question by mjosethj
March 28, 2009
I just moved into a place where the vines are as thick as a man's leg. No garden care has been done for 40 years. This includes the nasty hairy vines of the poison sumac. I am very allergic to PI but really want to get these vines off the trees before they strangle.
I'm tempted to cut them with my tree saw but worry about releasing all sorts of toxic stuff. I have round up.

Thanks for your help!


Image
Answer from NGA
March 28, 2009

0

I understand your concern but the only way you will release toxic fumes is if you attempt to burn the poison sumac. Cutting into it will make the sap flow but as long as you don't breathe it in or get it on your skin, it should not cause a problem. Roundup? Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer will work against poison sumac, roots and all. Be sure to read and follow label directions. Best wishes with your project!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Working with Purple & White"