GROWING HEATHER - Knowledgebase Question

BELLEVUE, Wa
Question by campmecham
WHAT IS THE BEST SOIL PREPARATION AND AMOUNT OF SUN, WATER, AND FERTILIZER TO GET THE HEALTHIEST HEATHER?

0

Heathers need all day sunshine and well draining soils. Because of your rainfall you might even consider planting them in a raised bed so you know the soil will drain quickly. They don't require fertilizer but they will appreciate regular watering during the summer months if rainfall is sparse. Soak them deeply once each week in the summer and just enjoy them the rest of the year. My heathers bloom three times a year and to keep them looking neat and compact I trim them back after they have finished blooming. Just shear them back to just below the old spent flowers and they will grow healthy new stems and bloom again in about 3 months. Enjoy!