Watering Container Plants - Knowledgebase Question

River Pines, CA
Question by ski69
I will be gone for 10 days on vacation this summer. I have redwood planter boxes on my deck with annuals planted in them. Have you heard of a way to water slowly using a plastic liter bottle? Do I turn the bottles upside down and keep the cap on and/or poke holes in the bottle to deliver the water slowly?

0

Using plastic liter bottles as a source of drip irrigation works well. You might want to try using them before you actually go on vacation, just to make sure they deliver enough water to keep your plants growing well. Water the planters well first, then fill plastic liter bottles with water and turn them upside down with the open tops buried into the soil two or three inches. Capillary action will draw the water from the bottles into the soil. Test to see how many bottles your planters will require to keep the soil reasonably moist.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"