potted outdoor plants - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by echis2
What plant(s) would you suggest I plant that will endure the heat on my patio?

0

I would use tough, sun-tolerant plants that need little water. Purchase big unglazed clay pots with drain holes. The bigger the pot, the longer the plant will not need water or attention. Use a light soil mix to maximize drainage. Good choices include desert rose, dwarf crown-of-thorns, dwarf schefflera, soft-tip yucca, snake plant, jade plant and spider lily. The ti plant, which comes in green, white, red and purple leaf tones, is quite tough and can take some shade and moisture as well as sun and some drought. Ti plants color up better in a sunny location. Fertilize the plant with Peters 20-20-20 according to directions.