Heat Tolerant Annuals - Knowledgebase Question

Morris Plains, NJ
Question by holtc
I have a bedding area in front of my house up against a white stucco foundation that faces due south. On a sunny day in the summer, this 4 x 11 spot (which is bordered on both ends by yew shrubs) really heats up as it gets a lot of reflected heatand not much circulating air. What's a good choice for colorful annuals that can take intense sun but also make a pretty display?

0

There are quite a few heat tolerant annuals to choose from. However, keep in mind that no matter how heat tolerant they are, you will need to keep a close eye on watering in such a hot spot. Check if the site needs watering every day. Enough of the lecture, here's the list:

Alyssum, Cleome, Gaillardia, Gloriosa Daisy, Marigold, Phlox, Portulaca, Salvia, Sunflower, Verbena, Zinnia, Cosmos, Four O'Clocks, Helichrysum, and Poppy.