Weeds in the Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Sarasota, Fl
Question by crsngna
How do I kill the weeds and St. Augustine grass roots that creep into my garden without killing my plants?

0

That's a difficult situation because grassy weed killers will also kill your lawn and broadleaf weed killers will affect your plants. The best solution is to pull the weeds out by hand, roots and all, and then cover over the bare soil with several inches of organic mulch to keep additional weeds from sprouting. Use a sharp shovel or an edger to keep the St. Augustine from creeping into your flower beds. Just cut it off a few inches away from the beds to keep it under control, or place a plastic or metal edger product between your turf and your flower beds. Good luck with your garden!