Amending Soil for Flower Bed - Knowledgebase Question

bel air, Ma
Question by gilpriya2002
Hi,

I would like to plant some pansies in pots. What kind of soil do I need to buy? Also what kind of soil do I need to put outside on the flowering bed? This is my first time gardening. please suggest.

0

Pansies would look great in pots! Choose containers with drainage holes in the bottom and fill the pots with potting soil, then plant your pansies. For a flower bed outside, simply remove any existing weeds and spread 4-5 inches of compost or aged manure (or other organic matter) over the top of the bed and then dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the soil and plant. The organic matter will help loosen the soil and will release nutrients to the roots of your plants. Be sure to choose plants that like the sun exposure your flower bed will provide - read the tags on the plants to make sure. Enjoy!