Differences on fertilizers/plant foods - Knowledgebase Question

Sharon, CT
Question by greenthumb219
My question is about "fertilizers" and "plant foods" I'm confused. There are so many brands, types (water soluable, pellets, ground) that I don't know where to begin... For instance... I would like to use Osmocote, one application lasts 9 months? But does that mean you shouldn't ever in that 9 month period use any other kind of food/fertilizer? I saw a garden show where they took a tool, made a little hole next to some daffodils and put some Bulb tone down there. Is that better for them than the Osmocote? Or could I use the Osmocote too? Are there certain plant foods that are better for certain plants than others? For instance, on annuals, since they are only around for 4 months in our zones, should we not use the Osmocote but something else? Would Miracle Grow be better here? or something like a Garden Tone? Something general like a 5-10-5 fertilizer? Also, I'm concerned about some reports of the dangers of using bone meal... Mad Cow Disease? What are your feelings on this matter?

0

to wear a dust mask to avoid inhaling the particles. If you'd rather not use the materials, there are other options for applying the same nutrients.