soil depth needed for onion transplants - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by totroom
I have tried every search engine on this website with no results.I have onion seedlings ready for transplanting.I want to plant them in containers in a very hot spot of my yard.I want to make sure the containers are deep enough.I have never grown onions before.Thank you for your help. Sharon

0

The answer depends upon the types of onions you are growing. For instance, small bulbing onions can go into a 1 gallon pot (8-10 inches deep). Large onions, like Walla Walla's, will need about 12 inches of root and bulb space so a 3 gallon pot will work. Just figure approximately how large the onion bulb will be and add about 6 inches below and one inch above to accommodate the roots, the mature bulb, and an inch of stem before top growth begins. Hope this clarifies things for you!