Dogs in Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Downingtown, Pe
Question by rcvmorelli
I have a dog and I am fearful that their urine will damage my lawn. What can I do to prevent brown or yellow spot in my lawn?
Thank you!

0

Immediately diluting the urine with plain water is the best thing you can do. Dog spots are caused by concentrated salts and urine can actually kill the grass, roots and all. Many households with dogs find that it works well to fence a separate dog run area for the dog's primary use. This prevents traffic damage to the lawn and also keeps the dog off the lawn in muddy weather and when it is frozen so it minimizes the overall lawn damage. And, it keeps the spotting problem in one area that can then be mulched or graveled. When you are outside and can play and visit with the dog, bring him over to the regular lawn area for fun and games. Another option is to train the dog to do his business in one certain area of the lawn only. This also limits the damage.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"