Gardenia Not Blooming - Knowledgebase Question

florida, Fl
Question by salimmiller
I have a gardenia which has been doing well. However, only one flower blooms at a time, and shortly after it dies. How do I increase the life and quanity of the flowers my gardenia produces?

0

Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity is the most important factor in successful gardenia culture. Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!