Buddleia Alternifolia - Knowledgebase Question

Belchertown, MA
Question by lwalczak
I live in zone 5, developing a new perennial bed and would like information on the size, blooming period, hardiness, soil requirements of the Buddleia altenifolia. I am very interested in attracting butterflies and hummingbirds

0

Your Buddleia altenifolia should do just fine in your zone. The B.alternifolia are all gracefully fountain-shaped. They flower in June. Generally these shrubs grow to 10-15 feet. They should be planted in good soil where they will get loads of sunshine. They can be pruned in the autumn. The pruning will keep them at a reasonable size.

You will definitely attract both birds and butterflies with this bush. That's why it's called the Butterfly Bush!