creating a small garden area - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Ne
Question by renee4joy
I want to create a small garden of flowers in the front of my house, but I don't know how to begin? do I purchase soil and just plant the seeds or what?
Help please!
Renee

0

You will want to start with soil preparation so your new plants will grow well. First, remove anything already growing in the proposed flower bed, then spread a 4-5 inch layer of compost or other organic matter over the entire bed, digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. These amendments will enrich the soil and help it drain well so the plant roots will be happy. After raking the area smooth, either choose starter plants from your nursery or sow seeds, as directed on the seed package. Be sure to choose plants that grow best in the sunshine exposure your garden area receives. Then keep your plants watered and enjoy!