Daphne Poisonous? - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, Ge
Question by katie_fisher
April 17, 2009
I have read the Daphne Odora is poinsonous to pets but no one goes into detail of how poisonous - like if they brush against will the die or is it more like you have to eat the entire bush to get ill? Do you know? I really want one for my yard and my dog has never eaten plants before but we do have guest dogs occasionally and I certainly don't want to poison one.


Image
Answer from NGA
April 17, 2009

0

According to the ASPCA's poisonous plants database, all parts of Daphne odora are poisonous if ingested. As with all toxic plants, the poison is in the dose. Consuming a leaf or two will probably make your dog vomit. If he/she ate large quantities of the plant, it could be fatal. I've grown Daphne in my yard for years and none of my dogs have shown the least bit of interest in it.

If you really want to plant Daphne, go ahead. Just watch it and watch your dog while the plant is new. Once it has been in the yard for a while, your pet probably won't be interested in it.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"