Moldy Mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Long Pond, PA
Question by sal9840
April 30, 1998
I have a pile of woodchips I aged over winter, now I have moldy layers. Will this hurt my flowers? I would like to put it around the plants as a mulch.


Image
Answer from NGA
April 30, 1998

0

The mycelium (white stringy stuff) in your woodchips is part of the natural decompostion process. As long as you use the chips as above-ground mulch on annuals and perennials, there should be no problem. The mycelium will dry up when exposed to sunlight and air. Just as a precaution, don't put the mulch up around the bases of woody plants, or close enough to touch the trunks of trees.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"