Shade flowering plants - Knowledgebase Question

Park Ridge, Il
Question by hek1244
The front of my home is shady, besides ferns and hostas, what are some shade loving flowering plants?

0

There are many options for shady areas. I will give you some of my favorites. Columbine has many cultivars to choose from in a variety of colors. Coral Bells also have many varieties to choose from but it is the leaf that provides the greatest interest and color all season long. Hosta is another perennial that is grown more for it's leaves than flowers. Japanese painted ferns are grown for the pretty foliage as well. The Lenten Rose is among the first non-bulb plants to flower in the spring. Jacob's Ladder is a beautiful addition to the shade garden with it's loose soft blue to rose colored flowers above ladder-shaped leaves. Primrose is a very hardy species available in almost every color imaginable. Foam Flower is a relative unknown that is becoming more popular as hybridizers play around with leaf shape and flower color. Bleeding heart is a must for shade! I hope these suggestions are helpful.