Growing Asparagus - Knowledgebase Question

Boerne, TX
Question by hyjak
My asparagus bed is three years old and does not make a good crop. How and what do I need to do to it?

0

Asparagus takes a few years to settle down and begin to produce. Make sure your asparagus is in a sunny area with well-drained soil, and fertilize in the spring and fall with a liquid fertilizer (such as manure-tea), or side-dress with aged manure. Keep weeds pulled so they don't compete with the plants for moisture and nutrients. If the asparagus crowns were not planted 6" - 8" inches deep when you first put them in the ground, or if they have worked their way up to the soil surface, add about 6" inches of topsoil to the bed. Be sure to water the bed regularly, especially in the summer. With the above care, your plants should begin produce by next season.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"