fending off the birds - Knowledgebase Question

BELMONT, No
Question by gmacmoneyman
I removed a 75' row of grape vines which were 50yrs+ old in order to make room for some upside down tomato plants. My plan is to reuse the posts(old telephone poles)& run pipe between them for hanging. My ground area (25x75')will now be dedicated to blueberries. The birds are freaking out & screaming obsenities from the tree tops...I'd like a natural way to keep them at bay.

0

I think you took away their shelter and possibly a food source. They won't stay mad for very long. They will find new places to hang out and build nests - just give them some time to adjust. In the mean time you might want to drape birdnetting over your blueberry plants. As soon as they begin to develop berries the birds may have a field day because they are used to hanging out in the area where the grapevine used to be. I'd build a basic frame out of 2X4's and cover it with bird netting then place it over the blueberry plants to keep birds from accessing the plants. I don't think they will bother the tomato plants but if so, you may have to drape birdnetting over those plants as well. Best wishes with your garden!