Growing Jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

West, Te
Question by sliva_01
My husband and I built a house, and are now putting in our flower beds. My grandmother got me a Jasmine plant. I love it, but I have no clue the best way to take care of it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

0

Sounds like you have Trachelospermum jasminoides (commonly called Condederate jasmine or star jasmine). Despite the common name, Confederate jasmine is not native to the American south - it comes from China but has been a popular garden plant in Europe and the U.S. for centuries. In your region, plant in morning sun and afternoon shade, or at least bright shade all day long. Jasmine is not particular about soils but prefers well drained situation so you might amend the planting hole with some organic matter. Water deeply once each week. Once established your jasmine is drought tolerant. Enjoy your new landscape!