What are onion Seeds? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: jolie borboa
san diego, Ca
Question by j_borboa
I have seed onion seeds sold in catalogues. Someone told me you could not grow onions from seeds. If you can grow onions from seeds, how do you do it?

0

Growing onions from seed may be the most difficult planting method. However, it is the least expensive. Germination may be sporadic, plant growth is slow, and weeds may be a problem. Plant onion seed as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring late March or early April. Plant seed in rows 12 to 15 inches apart. Cover the seed with 1/2 to 3/4 inch of soil. When the seedlings are 2 to 4 inches tall, thin the plantings out so that each plant has 2" of space. For large, dry onions, plants should be spaced 2 to 3 inches apart after thinning. A full season of growth is needed for mature onions.