hydragena plants - Knowledgebase Question

Dunstable, Ma
Question by ma16923
I ORIGINALLY AASKED YOU HOW TO CARE FOR THESE PLANTS AND YOU TOLD ME TO CUT THEM BACK TO ABOUT 18 INCHES WELL THEY ARE REALLY NOT MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT NOW SO SHOULD I CUT THEM BACK A LITTLE OR A LOT DO NOT WANT HURT THEM I KNOW ONE IS A JANANESSE HYDRAGENA NOT SURE WHAT THE OTHER ONES ARE BUT THEY ALL LOOK ABOUT THE SAME

0

Little baby hydrangeas should still be cut back. Since they are less than two feet tall you can still prune them back by 6 inches or so. The idea behind pruning is to encourage new stems and make the plant bushy and full of flowers. Some hydrangeas die all the way down to the ground each winter and other types remain woody. Both types of hydrangeas will benefit from pruning. If yours dies down to soil level, prune away the dead stems in the spring (after new growth appears at the crown of the plant). If yours does not die down to ground level each winter, simply shorten the length of each stem once buds begin to swell on the stems. Best wishes with your hydrangea.