Im a beginner and eager to start - Knowledgebase Question

Newark, Ne
Question by ms_escallier
I live in an apt building and I would like to plant flowers along-side the walk way into the building (approx 15'x 5'). I want lots of colors and think the appearance would be nice. Also something inexpensive. What do I have to buy to do my project? Also I want to put a garden basket in my window, any suggestions?

0

If the area has a lot of sun, you can plant profusion Zinnias. These are about as colorful as you can get - all hues of the rainbow - and they are an easy to grow annual which will be perfect for a beginning gardener. You can often buy them in flats rather than in individual containers and that keeps the cost down. In fact, bedding plants are probably the least expensive of all to purchase. Or, wave petunias are another suggestion. I think if you visit the garden center you'll find lots of inexpensive choices. Be sure to check the labels and find plants that thrive in either sun or shade - whichever your new garden will provide. I'd also encourage you to invest in a bag of compost to work into the soil prior to planting. The compost will enrich the soil and help your plants thrive. A garden basket can be filled with potting soil and lots of annuals - alyssum will cascade down over the side, ornamental grasses will stand up tall, petunias will also cascade. Choose the plants you love that are compatible with the amount of sunshine your window box will receive. I know you'll have a beautiful new garden. Enjoy!