Hydranga - Knowledgebase Question

Abingdon, Ma
Question by Barbara_Mask
I have a HUGE Hydranga .. twice the size if my arms make a circle .. when is a good time to try to deperate it and how do I do this? I do get some beautiful blooms on it however there is a lot of I guess dead stalks on it as well ... thank you!

0

You can take cuttings from your hydrangea to root or you can propagate it through a process called layering, but dividing it isn't an option. Usually the divisions die - but you can certainly try. Or better yet, try all three ways of propagating your hydrangea. You can also just prune it down to a more reasonable level. Now's the time to prune. Start by cutting everything back to about 2 feet from the ground. Then reach inside and remove all the dead stalks and those that are thin and young. Leave the healthiest looking stalks alone. These will develop new flowering stems and your plant will bush out and look nice by this summer. Best wishes with your hydrangea.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"