Buds Dropping From Hibiscus Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, TX
Question by ledalton
I have 3 hibiscus plants on a patio in full sun, each in their own container. When I brought them home from the nursery they bloomed. Now their foliage looks healthy and they develop large buds, but just before the buds open a small brown ring develops and the bud drops off. I have fed Hibiscus food once and I use Peters All Purpose every other watering. What am I doing wrong?

0

Your hibiscus may still be settling in after the move to a new location and perhaps some transplanting. I'd hold off on the fertilizer for a bit and make sure and not overwater. Give them a good soaking but don't keep them too wet. Depending on the size of plant, size of container, type of growing media, and type of container (terra cotta dries out faster than plastic) you may have to water daily or only every 3 days Feel the soil a couple of inches down and when it is no longer slightly moist, water them again. Give them some time and I think they'll start to hold their blooms.