Dog Friendly yard - Knowledgebase Question

Berlin, Ma
Question by briantschnec
I would like to take a section of my back yard a make it pet friendly. I have a large dog and every time he goes to the bathroom, he kills more grass and the weeds grow back. Is there anyway of attracting him to a more preferable spot or place in the yard?

0

You are wise to create a safe place for your dog to relieve himself because dog spots on lawns aren't just unsightly - the soil can be rendered sterile from the excessive salts in urine and sometimes needs to be replaced with fresh soil before new grass seeds will sprout. I wish there were some easy answers but training is the only way to convince him to go in a specific spot. How about a post or two in the designated place along with lots of praise when he does it right? Eventually he will associate the posts with lifting his leg and won't be so apt to create spots on the lawn. Good luck with your project!