Unwanted Plant - Knowledgebase Question

ROSCOE, Il
Question by CAM02GOD
HELP -I HAVE A PLANT THAT IS TAKING OVER MY FLOWER BEDS. IT'S SPREADS AND ALTHOUGH THE ROOTS SEEM TO BE ALMOST ON TOP OF THE SOIL. IT HAS A FOUL ODOR WHEN YOU PULL IT UP AND HAS LITTLE PINK FLOWERS. HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS?

0

Aside from pink flowers, you really didn't provide much of a description - however, based upon the odor, I think the weedy plant is Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'). It has almost heart shaped leaves and it grows but above ground stems but also by very deep horizontal and lateral roots. It is nearly impossible to get rid of - chemicals won't kill the roots - so your best approach is to pull the plants out, roots and all and keep pulling them out when they reappear. If you continue doing this whenever you see new sprouts you will eventually starve out the entire root system and they will be completely eliminated. Good luck with your project!