Hosta Leaf Problems - Knowledgebase Question

stockbridge, Ge
Question by cash1946sm
i have planted some hosta and the are up about 6 or 7 inches. but something has already chewing up leaves. what can i put on them to keep the pest off

0

If the damage is only on the leaves, I would suspect slugs or snails. These pests eat at night and leave silvery slime trails. These can be controlled by a variety of measures: trapping, baits (read and follow label instructions), hand picking, and also by sprinkling diatomaceous earth (a powder sold in garden centers) on the soil surface right around the plants. I use the iron based snail control called Sluggo. It is safe to use around pets, children and wildlife. Best wishes with your hostas!