What To Do With Bolted Parsley - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, TX
Question by alanlyon
My Italian Parsley put out a good crop last year, and did well over our mild Texas winter. I have allowed the plants to bolt. Can I collect seed or could I dig and replant the old plants.

0

Let the plants finish blooming and setting seed. Unless it is from a hybrid variety, it should come fairly true to seed. While they are blooming, the beneficial insects in your garden including hover flies and some non-stinging wasps will thrive on them. Once seed heads begin to brown, cut them and place in an open paper bag in a dry location to fully dry. Later shake heads, collect seeds and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Your old plants may be transplantable, but since parsley is a biennial (it dies after setting seed in its second season), you may just want to start with vigorous young plants. I have successfully transplanted Chinese parsley in Texas, but haven't tried it with Italian parsley. If you have the space, it's worth a try. Try to get a large undisturbed rootball when you dig plants and water it in well in its new location.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"