Overwintering Chile Peppers - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, GA
Question by treetam
I live in Alpharetta, GA, which is Zone 7A. Can I overwinter chili peppers in my garden or do I need to grow them in containers and move them indoors for the winter?

0

It would be a rare year and a very protected nook next to a home for peppers to return after the winter in your zone. I think the idea of growing in containers would work fine if you can give them plenty of light in their protected winter location.

I have even had success growing them in the garden and then digging up a sizeable root ball (about 10"), pruning the tops back to 12-18" and planting them into a container for nursing through the winter, followed by replanting to the garden in spring. My, we pepper growers are a desperate, determined bunch!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"