Spring pruning - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, Wi
Question by mbungert
Can I prune my bushes,shrubs and my apple tree now, in the Spring? If so, is there something I should do specifically? I live in Wisconsin.

0

It's a little too late to prune your apple tree now. If you do you will be pruning off potential flowers and fruit. Apples should be pruned in February in your gardening region. Right now you can prune any shrubs that do not flower in spring. If they normally flower in the spring, wait until after they have finished flowering before pruning. Any shrubs that flower in the summer usually flower on new growth so you can safely cut them back now. If your shrubs don't flower at all, you can prune them back now. Good luck with your garden!