Composting - Knowledgebase Question

Broomfield, Co
Question by rsander2181
We have a compost bin and have been adding food items, but nothing is happening. I turned it twice this winter and added some water. What am I doing wrong?

0

Compost bins will eventually produce compost without any help from you but they will produce lots of good quality compost if you routinely work with it. You should be adding both green and brown materials to your compost bin. Shredded newspaper, shredded leaves are convenient sources of carbon materials; kitchen waste, plant trimmings and even grass clippings are good sources of nitrogen materials. In order to work right, you need to introduce both types of materials to your compost bin and you need to turn it to keep things cooking. Turn the materials at least weekly to mix them all up and be sure to add some shredded newspaper or other carbon materials.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"